Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 23, 2012

1ST ANNUAL JOPLIN TURKEY TROT 2012

Yesterday was the first annual Joplin Turkey Trot!  There were over 600 people who registered for the 5K and 1 mile fun run.  I ran the 5K and my youngest daughter ran the mile fun run.  I didn't get to see her run since they started the fun ran 5 minutes after the 5K start so my husband was there to see her run.

The event kicked off at 8:00 a.m. which was a decent time.  Glad it wasn't 7:00 a.m.  We arrived and there were tons of people everywhere in the downtown Joplin area where the event took place.  The start/finish was at 6th and Main.  From 6th and main we ran north to 2nd street and headed west to about half a block past Maiden Lane and back.

It was a very nice morning to run.  Everyone seemed happy and I saw lots of friends and I grabbed those I saw at the moment for a group picture that my husband took of us.  That was fun!  A few minutes later they made the call for the 5Kers so I gave my jacket to my husband and headed to the line.  After the National Anthem, the race started about a minute later.  I was not really feeling the race about less than a half mile into it for some reason.  My GPS did not work for me even though I hit the record button so that threw me off because I didn't know what my mile paces were and I didn't want to mess with the GPS on my phone that was attached to my arm, ugh!  I was happy to make the turn to head back.  Still was not feeling the race.  I was very tired and couldn't understand why since I had been flying in my half marathons.  I knew with this 5K I should have been moving faster.  Anyways, we made the turn back onto main heading south.  I would say there was about 200 yards or so to the finish line and the wind was hitting me right in the face, slowing me down.  By the time I could see the clock it read just under 24 minutes and right as I finished it read 24:05, but my chip time was 24:01.  It would be my personal best, but not my best feeling race.  My chest was on fire and I was couching like crazy!  My husband reminded me that I was getting over my cold.  I felt good before the race, but once I started to run, I guess I was feeling the effects of the cold and congestion I didn't really realize I still had.  I think the run made my congestion flare back up.  I was very tired today and took lots of hers to help get me to feeling better.

I did get a PR AND 1st place in my age group so I'm pleased.  I didn't get the 21:00 or 22:00 minutes I wanted but I'm sure that time will come.

Thanksgiving Day was wonderful as we shared it with friends and family.  I am Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to fRAN'S RUN BLOG!