Friday, November 23, 2012


Yesterday was the first annual Joplin Turkey Trot!  There were over 600 people who registered for the 5K and 1 mile fun run.  I ran the 5K and my youngest daughter ran the mile fun run.  I didn't get to see her run since they started the fun ran 5 minutes after the 5K start so my husband was there to see her run.

The event kicked off at 8:00 a.m. which was a decent time.  Glad it wasn't 7:00 a.m.  We arrived and there were tons of people everywhere in the downtown Joplin area where the event took place.  The start/finish was at 6th and Main.  From 6th and main we ran north to 2nd street and headed west to about half a block past Maiden Lane and back.

It was a very nice morning to run.  Everyone seemed happy and I saw lots of friends and I grabbed those I saw at the moment for a group picture that my husband took of us.  That was fun!  A few minutes later they made the call for the 5Kers so I gave my jacket to my husband and headed to the line.  After the National Anthem, the race started about a minute later.  I was not really feeling the race about less than a half mile into it for some reason.  My GPS did not work for me even though I hit the record button so that threw me off because I didn't know what my mile paces were and I didn't want to mess with the GPS on my phone that was attached to my arm, ugh!  I was happy to make the turn to head back.  Still was not feeling the race.  I was very tired and couldn't understand why since I had been flying in my half marathons.  I knew with this 5K I should have been moving faster.  Anyways, we made the turn back onto main heading south.  I would say there was about 200 yards or so to the finish line and the wind was hitting me right in the face, slowing me down.  By the time I could see the clock it read just under 24 minutes and right as I finished it read 24:05, but my chip time was 24:01.  It would be my personal best, but not my best feeling race.  My chest was on fire and I was couching like crazy!  My husband reminded me that I was getting over my cold.  I felt good before the race, but once I started to run, I guess I was feeling the effects of the cold and congestion I didn't really realize I still had.  I think the run made my congestion flare back up.  I was very tired today and took lots of hers to help get me to feeling better.

I did get a PR AND 1st place in my age group so I'm pleased.  I didn't get the 21:00 or 22:00 minutes I wanted but I'm sure that time will come.

Thanksgiving Day was wonderful as we shared it with friends and family.  I am Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to fRAN'S RUN BLOG!