Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 24, 2013

Second Marathon Training Time!!!


Second Marathon Training Begins!


Who would have thought that this (me) ex-high school 100, 200 and 400 meter dash sprinter would become a marathoner....CRAZY!!!

Well, after completing my first marathon April 28th, 2013, I knew within an hour that I wanted to run another marathon regardless of the burning that was happening in my legs and being hot from running in 85 degree weather that day!  I didn’t know at the time that it would run another 26.2 within the same year though!  First of all, I had said I would run just ONE marathon just to say I did it.  How many times have you heard people say that???  Well, my first marathon experience was so awesome.  It was an honor to run in honor of those lost in the Oklahoma City Bombing and to run with thousands of others who were doing the same thing was priceless and just a few short weeks after the Boston Bombing.  The course at OKC Marathon was GREAT, the crowd support was AWESOME and shortly after the race I knew that I would run another and knew that I would be back to Oklahoma City to run their memorial run again!




 It’s not even been two months since I have learned of where and when I’d run my 2nd marathon.  I believe it will be the Bass Pro Marathon held in Springfield, MO in November.  I ran their half marathon last November and that was a great run, great course and great crowd support so I can imagine what the full will be like...nice! 

Since running my first full, I've had the opportunity to be a pacer at our local Joplin Memorial Run.  That was my first race since the marathon and I really enjoyed it!  I met nice people, Jennifer, Rob and a sweet kid who ran next to me most of the race.  Poor kid got injured tripping over a curb and could not finish the race.  Hope to meet him again one day.  He had such the go-getter attitude and he is only 12 years old!
THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO PACE :)

JOPLIN MEMORIAL RUN 


RUN - REMEMBER - REBUILD
Cover Photo
Why Green? Because Joplin is Rebuilding and Regrowing!
2013 logo
JMR is a project of
Active Lifestyle Events
Join Our List
Join Our Mailing List
Stay Social!
Like the Joplin Memorial Run on Facebook and follow us
on Twitter for the most
up-to-date information about the weekend's events!

Like us on Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter 
Quick Links
Rufus Racing Logo
Event Promoter 
Deena Kastor
Deena Kastor, considered one of the top American long distance runners, will be our speaker for the Joplin Memorial Run
pre-race banquet on
Friday May 17th. Make your reservations now to hear this amazing athlete! Register Here

Meet Your Pacers 

Checkout the Rufus Racing crew who will be your pacers for the 2013 Joplin Memorial Run this weekend! 


2:04:30- 9:30 min mile Fran Johnson
Fran 
I'm Fran! Wife,athlete mom of three and assistant track coach at CHCS. I have enjoyed being back to running for the last 1 1/2 years. I have completed 3 half marathons, one full marathon & many other races in the last 9 months. I look forward to participating in many more races! See you on race day!

My training sort of started last week.  We’re about 19 weeks left until race day.  I don’t really have a training schedule, just like the first time, but just mainly doing what I did last time, which was running what I could when I could.  I increased my long run by a mile each week until I had reached 20 miles.  I do have a family and their busy with their sports too, so I’m training around their schedules.  I’ll be running about 40-45 miles a week once I get going good and maybe 25-30 starting out again.  My longer runs will be on Thursday and Saturday or Thursday and Sunday with shorter runs on three of the other days.  I’m excited!!!  


I have gone crazy drinking a lot of coffee and not eating my best since doing my 1st marathon.  I have been spending a lot of time at the ballparks of my kid's games and found myself eating hot dogs and zero candy bars.  The coffee is not a problem and it’s actually good to have as a runner, but my problem is that I use way too much French Vanilla creamer and I have been drinking about 3-4 cups most days..two in the morning, a cup in the afternoon and a cup before bedtime.  No, the coffee doesn't keep me awake at night, LOL!  I’m still drinking my water.  I’m motivated to ease up on the coffee while I train for my marathon.  I’ve got this!  I love eating salmon and veggies, spaghetti (simple, but my favorite meal) and drinking smoothies.  It’s what I ate and drank the most during training the first time.


I think training the second time around will be a lot easier.  I know what to expect, knowing how my body will handle the training.  I do want to be even stronger the second time around.  Looking back at what I’ve done so far, I know I can push harder and focus on my breathing.  I am motivated to qualify for Boston, but it’s not my main focus.  I want to get a better time than my first which was 4:21:40 and if it happens to qualify me for Boston, that will be a bonus.  I’m not that far off from what I need to run to qualify for my age group (40-44), so there’s time in the near future to reach that goal.  Thanks to those of you who have encouraged me that I can get that with no problem.  I can’t believe I’m actually doing another marathon in the same year!  Below is the 2014 Boston Qualifying times;


 Boston Marathon Qualifying Times for 2014
With the exclusion of the Olympics and various Championship races, the Boston Marathon is the only marathon in the USA that maintains qualifying times and requirements. While the specific requirements change from year to year, the requirements generally state that a runner must have completed a qualifying marathon within the year and a half before the upcoming Boston Marathon.
All participants must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the B.A.A., USA Track and Field or foreign equivalent, International Paralympic Committee, Wheelchair Sports, USA, Disabled Sports, USA, and the United States Association for Blind Athletes. Qualifying times must be met in competitions observing these same rules. Proof of qualification must accompany the application.
•For the 2014 Boston Marathon, qualifying times must be run on or after September 22, 2012
•The acceptance of official race entrants will be based on qualifying time, with the fastest qualifiers (in relation to their age and gender) being accepted first until the race is full
•All qualifying times are subject to review and verification
•All standards below are based on official submitted net time
•All standards below are equal to the 2013 Boston Marathon qualifying standards
•The qualifying times below are based upon each athlete's age on the date of the Boston Marathon in which they are participating
Age
Men
Women
18-34
3:05
3:35
35-39
3:10
3:40
40-44
3:15
3:45
45-49
3:25
3:55
50-54
3:30
4:00
55-59
3:40
4:10
60-64
3:55
4:25
65-69
4:10
4:40
70-74
4:25
4:55
75-79
4:40
5:10
80+
4:55
5:25
WHEELCHAIR DIVISION QUALIFYING TIMES
Open (Classes 3 & 4)
18-39
2:00
2:25
40-49
2:15
2:40
50+
2:30
2:55
Quad (Classes 1 & 2)
18-39
2:45
3:10
40-49
3:00
3:25



50-Over
3:15
3:40



BLIND/VISUALLY IMPAIRED DIVISION
The qualifying time is 5:00 hours for visually impaired athletes (men and women) classified T11, T12, and T13.
MOBILITY IMPAIRED PROGRAM
Individuals with permanent physical impairments that affect their ability to ambulate and would not otherwise qualify for entry in other divisions may be granted the following extended qualifying times:
The qualifying time is 6:00 hours for individuals who, because of the nature of their disability, have difficulty ambulating.
The qualifying time is 8:00 hours for individuals who, because of the nature of their disability, need mobility aids such as prosthetics, leg braces or crutches to ambulate.
Back to MarathonGuide.com Home

THANK YOU!!
You can follow me on facebook at www.facebook.com/irunlongalways
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to fRAN'S RUN BLOG!